Hmm I googled these term and found the suitable definition:
Backpackers are independent travelers. Opting for low cost destinations and lodging in order to prolong their travel, these travelers prefer to experience a destination rather than see it. Flashpackers travel with the same approach, only now they have more money to spend.
Many flashpackers are actually just the growing number of ‘techno-travelers’ out there. They’ve got iPods and digital cameras. They’re traveling with their laptops. They want to blog and broadcast live video streams of their travel experiences, so they need free WiFi at their hostel.
While technology is a key element of flashpacking, though, it’s not the whole picture, by any means. A flashpacker is essentially just the usual backpacker or independent traveler, looking for something a bit more upmarket from their digs.
They want all the flexibility of the independent traveler – the unfixed itinerary which allows you to think on your feet and go wherever the fancy takes you – yet they also want (just a little!) of the look and feel of a boutique hotel.
But they don’t want your standard budget hotel: rather, they’re after the advantages of a good, old-fashioned cheap hostel, with just a bit more, well, luxury.
And even the most hardcore backpackers among us can do with a bit of luxury from time to time…
Last year, I broke that routine. I planned a trip to Bali. Based on that trip, I found my way of travel:
- I don't mind to sleep in a cheap place. My budget not more than IDR 500,000/night. I tried 2 different places, hotel and hostel. I like it both, but maybe I put hostel in my alternatives. First choice, still hotel hehehe.
- I don't rent a car or bike. In Bali, I tried to use a taxi since in my area where I stayed the public transportation was limited. Probably I will use public transportation on my next travel, which is in December 2013.
- I like to walk. That's why I like to stay in a hotel surrounded by nice places. Clubs good, but historical sites way much cooler.
- No itinerary. I was counting on my mood. Of course I have a list, but I didn't make a specific date when to visit. Yeah, I did some eenie meenie thing hehehe.
- I bought lots of discount voucher to experience premium services with minimum price.
So, what am I? Definitely not a backpacker, although sometimes I can be a backpacker. Flashpacker? Some of the definition fits me, especially in hotel part hehehe.
Then I found new term, impulsive traveler. The definition, more or less, is like below:
There are travelers who plan months ahead of time, draw up long lists of packing, scheduling, itineraries, do their research, make the bookings, and carry the right phone numbers. Then there are the impulsive travelers who do pick up a backpack and just get out there figuring out things on their way.
So, what kind of traveler am I??? My prognosis: FLASHPACKER IMPULSIVE TRAVELER!
I can't help it. I have characteristics from both hehehe. Please don't get me wrong. It doesn't mean I can't travel in backpacker style and with several plans. It's my mood that talks louder than my brain :)